MIDS is a Windows Application that connects directly to the GPATS network for a real-time feed of lightning data. Alarm regions can be configured and the user will be notified if a strike falls within the desired area.
To use MIDS, a monthly subscription fee and pay a once-off payment for GPATS propriety software is required.
The monthly subscription fee can be purchased for one user or multiple users:
- One License represents one instance of MIDS installed and collecting GPATS data stream
- Multiple licenses represent multiple instances of MIDS displays collecting data stream from one instance of MIDS Server collecting GPATS data stream.
MIDS Software contains the following features:
- A cyclic graph displaying current lightning strikes on the GPATS Server over the past hour
- A map of Australia with Real-Time Lightning data
- Zoom capabilities
- View strike details by clicking on the strike
- The intensity of a lightning storm
- Each strike shows the Date, Time (UTC), Latitude, Longitude, Type of strike and the amperage (in KA - kilo amperes) value of the strike
- 3000 point alarm regions allowing many complex alarm regions to be set up
- Email alert capability on alarm region stroke
- Alarm strokes saved to alarm stroke archive file
- Zoom to last 10 alarm strokes hotspot facility
- Colour-coded incoming data display and alarm stroke identification in incoming data window
- Ability to export and save archived data files to formats such as HTML, CSV and text
- Improved lightning storm movie playback functions
- A new feature in MIDS4 is the ability to display real-time or archived lightning data within a Google Earth environment with the click of a button!
Whilst all this is happening, the system saves all this information to file, so the user can, at any time bring up the information stored for lightning occurring on a particular date.